Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day and Graveyards


This was my first Mother's Day.  Last year, I was about two months pregnant on Mother's Day.  It's hard to believe I am a mother and I am now included in the club.  Unlike usual, I actually got to spend it with my mom.  Colleen was here too. :-)   The day began with my gift from Jared and Kathryn.  I absolutely love it.  

My gift.  I love this necklace.




Once everyone was up and around we took a trip to East Providence, Rhode Island to the Ancient Little Neck Cemetery to visit the grave of our common ancestor, Elizabeth Tilley, a Mayflower passenger.  A few years ago, Colleen helped me discover we were decedents of her, as are Jared's family.  Needless to say, we got a kick out of the fact we have the same grandmother (obviously very far back!).  Anyway...Colleen has been wanting to go and I'm glad we did.  I've always liked old cemeteries, but it was really neat to go to one where one of our ancestors is buried and realize if she hadn't made the decisions she did in her life, none of us would be here.

Me & Colleen clearing the weeds away from Elizabeth's grave.

Trying to pose Kathryn in front of the tombstone. She actually fell on her face.  She cried for a second and then went back to smiling. She had a nice smear of dirt on her cheek.

Elizabeth's decedents (minus Mom)     



Auntie C and Kathryn





After we were finished at the cemetery, we drove down to the Stonington/Mystic area and had Mother's Day dinner at Cove Fish Market.  We stuffed ourselves with fish & chips, chowda, and clam fritters.  It was very, very good!  Unfortunately, we didn't get pictures of everyone eating and hanging out, but Colleen did get a picture of her meal.  Yum!!!

Kinda messy, but you get the point.  I had a fish sandwich though...it was delicious!



Overall, it was a really nice day.  I'm glad I got to spend Mother's Day with my own mom and my little girl.  It was great sharing it with Colleen too.  I'm looking forward to many more days with Kathryn like this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment