Sunday, May 20, 2012

10 o'clock party time is back!

When Kathryn was a new baby we joked that she had her "10 o'clock party time", where she'd get this second wind around 10pm and stay up laughing and grinning.  It was cute, but also very annoying, so fortunately this habit of hers went away.

Well...it was back tonight.  She went down at her usual time around 7:30pm and was sleeping soundly.  After trying to catch up on "The Killing" on the DVR and reading, I turned off my Kindle and the lights around 10:15.  As I way laying in bed trying to go to sleep, I heard rustling around 10:30 and turned to look at the video monitor where I saw Kathryn wiggling around like she was waking up and sure enough, her head popped up and she looked around. I got up to check on her and she was wide awake like she is in the morning.  I instantly knew we were in trouble.  I tried putting her in bed with us, but that was no good.  She kept trying to hit Jared, so I got up and decided to give her a couple of ounces of milk.  I fed her and rocked her while listening to her favorite lullaby CD and she finally dozed off.  I placed her back in her crib and the second I did...BOING: up comes the head and she's awake again.  At this point it was around 11:30, so we're well into the first hour of the "party time".

I decided I'd try the swing.  I put her in it and opened my lap tap to play around on the internet while she rocked.  I didn't even turn on the TV.  I didn't want to distract her.  Well, she finally dozed off a few minutes ago and it was actually really cute watching her drift off.  She kept smiling, so I'm guessing she's having happy dreams.  Now, my dilemma is, do I dare remove her from the swing or just sleep on the couch?  I don't want her to think the swing is how she sleeps, but I need to sleep too.

I was all geared up to wake up at 5am to go running. I haven't been able to find time after work to exercise, so I decided to try doing it before work (I know! I'm crazy!  5am is an ungodly hour to be up...but I wanted to at least try and see if I could do it.).  I'm beginning to think it won't happen tomorrow because it's now almost midnight and I'm sure she'll wake up again tonight.  Anyway...I'm rambling because I'm tired and a little frustrated, but I guess that's part of the territory.  I just thank my lucky stars this is not a regular occurrence.  God bless the parents whose children don't sleep and cry all the time.  Kathryn is usually so good, so I guess I'll excuse the Honeybaby this once.

  

1 comment: