Monday, November 12, 2012

I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore

It's been a few days since I've posted because Kathryn and I have been in Kansas visiting my grandma.  Grandma Peggy's not doing well and I really wanted Kathryn to meet her great-grandma.  I knew I'd regret it I didn't make it happen, so a couple of months ago, I started planning with Tarin and my parents and we were able to get out there (well...me and Kathryn, Tarin and Andrew, and Dad) over Veteran's Day weekend. 

I have so many fond memories of my grandparents.  I always loved going to their house.  Whenever I walk into their house, the smell always takes me back to my childhood. There's even a smell in Grandpa's garage that floods me with memories.  I didn't get into the garage this time because it was so windy the first two days and so cold the last day. 

It's hard to believe my grandma may not be with us much longer.  She's my last grandparent and I don't like to think of a world without her in it.  I was not prepared to see her the way she was.  She didn't talk much and she could hardly move.  This has only happened within the last week and my aunt and dad suspect it's from some medication.  I hope that's the case anyway. They're supposed to be putting a hold on those meds, so hopefully she'll get better.  Even though she wasn't herself, her mind was there and I knew she was glad we'd come out.  We even had a little birthday party for Grandma and Kathryn.  It was nice to see everyone and let Kathryn meet so many of her family members.  I'll be posting pictures of the party once Tarin gets them to me.  She has them on her SD card.  She got some good ones, so I'm anxious to see them. 

It was hard leaving last night, knowing it may be the last time I hug my grandma.  She held my hand and she looked like she was about to cry a couple of times.  She even mustered up enough strength to say to Tarin as she was hugging her, "I'm glad you came."  I know she was and I know she was happy to finally meet Kathryn.  She always used to joke with me that I'd never have kids.  I proved her wrong though!  haha  She would just look at Kathryn and smile when we visited Grandma at her assisted living facility.  It was nice to be together and I hope it won't be the last time Kathryn sees her great-grandma Peggy. 

Kathryn was pretty good on the flights there, but I was very overwhelmed because she was antsy and I didn't like being alone. I didn't have enough arms!  I had a mini-meltdown in the back of the plane.  A lady asked how we were doing and I started crying a little because I was just so overwhelmed.  She was so sweet and talked to me and held Kathryn so I could use the bathroom.  Her name was Heather and I don't think I'll ever forget how nice she was to us.  When I asked her if she was from Boston, she told me she was from Minnesota.  We both laughed when I told her I should've known she couldn't be from Boston because she was too nice.  The flights home were awesome.  She was an angel.  She just laughed and cooed on the flight from Wichita to Minneapolis. She fell asleep when we landed, of course, but I woke her up and we made our way to our next gate.  It was quite the trip getting there.  The tram was out of order, so we had to walk a long way.  We got some food (I was ecstatic to have an Arby's...we don't have them here) and Kathryn ate a banana, which made a big mess on her shirt and we had to change it.  Our flight to Boston was fabulous.  We even had the row to ourself, which was wonderful.  Kathryn slept for over and hour and I got to read and listen to music. She really was amazing.  There was a man that was on both our flights and he commented how good she was and said I was a good mom.  It made me feel good.  Funny how just a few words can mean so much. 
The "bug" and car Pop-Pop made for Kathryn.

Grandma Peggy, me and Kathryn

4 Generations

Kathryn and Andrew playing with his suitcase of toys.

This is what Kathryn wore to her party.  I can't wait to post pictures from the actual gathering.

Kathryn's first Sonic.  Hot dog, fries and cherry vanilla limeade.  She loved it!


Kathryn and Animal on the plane.

Kathryn ate a ton of lil' crunchies on the plane. I didn't care though.  As long as she was happy!

Andrew and Kathryn while Dad and I went to the store.  Tarin was watching them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment