Friday, November 23, 2012

Grandma Peggy

Yesterday was a tough day.  My Grandma Peggy passed away.  She hadn't been doing well for a while, but we were all hoping she would make it past Thanksgiving.  She didn't.  My parents didn't want to tell us till today because it was Thanksgiving and Kathryn's birthday.  They didn't want to ruin our day, but I called my dad around 11am to ask a question about caulking and then I asked about Grandma.  He hesitated, but then said everything was status quo.  I asked him if it really was because he'd paused and then he told me she had passed away about an hour before.  I had been expecting it, but I wasn't ready.  My dad seemed okay and he told me he had a premonition it was going to happen.  He was sleeping and around 3:30am and a bright light shot through his mind and he saw Jesus sitting there with his arms open.  This gave me chills because I knew he was welcoming my grandma home. 

After I found out, I cried and thought back on the good times. I also tried to stay happy because it was Kathryn's birthday.  It's been hard today too because I think about the little things I'll never get to do with her again.  I'll never eat one of her eggs again.  She made the best fried eggs.  I'll never play dominoes or Yahtzee with her again.  She loved to play games. I'll never talk about the weather with her again.  We often talked about the weather.  I just miss her so much already.  I didn't grow up with her, and I usually saw her once a year, but there was always that knowledge that I would see her again.  When I said goodbye to her a couple of weeks ago, I knew it was the last time I would hug her goodbye.  I knew I wouldn't see her in this life again.  I know she is happy though.  She is with my grandpa and they loved each other so much.  She has missed him and I know they are embracing right now and they're young and perfect.  Grandma used to tell me how hard it was to get old because your mind still feels young, but your body can't keep up.  I know she's perfect now though.  I couldn't have asked for a more supportive set of grandparents and I love them and I miss them.  I can still hear both of their voices and the way they said my name.  I don't think I'll ever forget that.  I'll never forget them and I know I'll see them again.  It hurts knowing they're gone, but I've got to remember they're happy and they're together.  I love you Grandma and Grandpa. 

Our last visit with Grandma.

This was taken about 6 years ago when Jared and I drove to Kansas to visit.  Grandma tried to teach Jared to knit.  We all got a good laugh out of it. 

Grandma came to Connecticut for Christmas a few years back and we took her gambling at Mohegan Sun.

Me, Grandma, Tarin and Andrew

Beautiful picture of Grandma at Tarin's wedding.

Grandpa, Me and Grandma at my high school graduation in 1998.

Grandpa and Grandma in 1943

Grandpa, Grandma and me on my wedding day: Aug. 5, 2000

A visit in AZ.  Love our clothes!

Sitting on Grandpa's lap during a visit to Kansas.

Grandpa and Me in Chicago during Tarin's boot camp graduation.

Tarin, Grandpa and Me in Chicago.

Grandpa, Me and Honey Dawg in Sierra Vista.

Me and Grandma



Grandma visiting Grandpa in NYC.


Together at Wrigley Field.

Grandma and Tarin

Tarin, Katie, Grandpa, Grandma, Me and Jeff at my high school graduation in 1998.

Tarin, Grandma and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment