Sunday, June 24, 2012

So Long, Gangy!

It's hard to believe 5 months have already passed since my mom came to stay with us and look after Kathryn when I returned to work, but it has.  We said goodbye to Gangy yesterday and she is currently on the road back to Arizona.  She's a brave woman making the trip alone.  So far it's been a good trip for her, aside from the crazy New Jersey toll booth lady and getting stuck in major traffic for two hours in Arkansas.  She still has a couple more days of driving and I hope they go smoothly for her.

I didn't know what to expect when my mom came.  Jared and I were so grateful she offered to help us out.  I would've been devastated had I had to take my 8 week old to daycare.  Instead, I was able to return to work knowing Kathryn would be well taken care of. 

Kathryn and my mom formed a very special bond.  I know Kathryn loves her Gangy so much and will miss her tremendously.  Jared and I have discussed often that we believe Kathryn is the amazing baby she is today because of my mom caring for her during those early months.  We believe Kathryn was born with an innate, good temperament, but my mom's loving care helped to nurture that.  We also learned a lot from my mom on how to care for Kathryn.  Jared and I were both complete novices and my mom really helped us out.  I'm not saying the 5 months was a piece of cake.  We all butted heads on occasion, but anyone will do that when living with someone.  But, overall, it was a very successful 150 days (give or take a few). 

It was hard to see my mom drive away.  We've become so accustomed to having that extra set of hands around and it's going to take a while to get used to her not being in the "lair".  However, I'm sure she's very glad not to have to look at our laundry anymore. 

We love you Mom.  Thank you for everything you did for Kathryn.  We can never repay you for that amazing gift.

I love this picture of Kathryn and Gangy.  She sent it to me at work and it cracked me up.








1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this. It is priceless - as is your daughter.

    ReplyDelete