Saturday, June 9, 2012

On Loan

Kathryn seems to have a touch of a stomach bug.  She's spit up quite a bit today and she also projectile vomited for the first time...all over me, her and the chair.  It was quite amazing that all that stuff could come out of a little body.  She's also had three big poops today, one exploding through her diaper.  Through it all though, she's been as happy and smiley as she always is.  We had our Belmont Stakes party today and she was as wonderful as always.

However, she wouldn't go to bed at 7pm as she usually does.  In fact, she's stilla awake as I write this at 8:50pm, playing on the floor.  She's tired, but she won't sleep.

Anyway...I digress.  Once everyone left the party, Jared and I were sitting around with Kathryn who was just grinning away, even though we know she's not feeling well.  Jared was holding her and he turned to me to say what an angel she is.  Even though she's sick, she's still amazing.  Then he went on to say we weren't lucky to get her, but rather she picked us as her parents.  We both said she seems like an old soul and we've never seen such a content, even-keeled baby who seems perfectly okay with just being herself.  She's so happy and seems to trust us that we would never hurt her.  She lets everyone hold her and play with her and she knows they won't hurt her because we would never let someone hold her who would.   It's just something we can't explain.  She's special and we're not the only ones who have said that.  I don't think we're biased either.  There's just something genuinely unique about this child and we're so blessed she is ours. 

As we discussed with how comfortable she is with herself, Jared said he believed the time she spent waiting for us to have her (she did wait 11 years after all!), was time well spent.  She was watching us and learning about us.  I have to agree with him.  Then I went on to talk about one of my fears.  I said I hope she's here on earth for a very long time because I worry sometimes that she won't be.  Jared said he felt he worries about that sometimes too.  Then he looked at her sweetly and said, "Well, she is on loan."  Then he held her tightly.  He's right.  She is on loan. Entrusted to us to raise her and guide her and help turn her into a productive, loving person.  I hope we can do a good job.

Our very special girl.



On a less sappy note, Kathryn was LOVING her green beans the other day.  She was a mess by the end of dinner.  The camera doesn't do the mess justice.  She also looks red headed in this picture.  She is not.  She's a blonde like her mommy.

Green bean face!

P.S.  She went to sleep half way through this post.  My baby girl is sleeping now.  Hopefully she'll feel better.

1 comment:

  1. love that toy! That must really keep her busy as a bee. Sorry I have not been to the blog recently- sleeping a lot :( the pictures are so cute- I am sorry to hear she had a bug. Hope it is better now. I love reading your "reflective " thoughts :) children are a joy and a responsibility- just take it one day at a time! Love you all- Mom

    ReplyDelete