Thursday, March 7, 2013

419 W. Kansas


My parents told me yesterday that a contract is being drawn up on my grandparents' house.  I never thought someone other than a Nugen would be live in that house.  My grandparents built that house from almost nothing.  My grandma used to tell me how it started out when they first bought it in the 1940s.  My grandpa added so many rooms.  My dad grew up in that house.  I have so many memories there.  I always remember walking in and smelling the smell of grandma's house and when I'd go into the garage, the smell always reminded me so much of my grandpa.  I remember playing with my cousins there and I remember eating homemade ice cream there. 

I can't believe I'll never step foot in that house or on the property again.  When I went to see my grandma in November, I didn't think it was the last time I'd be there.  I'm so glad Kathryn got to go, although she won't remember it.  I'll always remember eating breakfast in the kitchen or playing dominoes and Yahtzee and watching baseball or the weather with my grandma.  She always had the TV up so loud.  I was so sad when my parents told me a young family had put a bid on the house.  I know the family will love it there and they'll have so much fun playing in the backyard.  Maybe it's good I won't see it again with all the belongings out of it because I can always remember it the way it was.  A place where Grandma and Grandpa lived.  A place I loved going.  The roots of my family.

When I was there a few years ago for my grandpa's funeral, I went around taking pictures to help me always remember it.  I'm so glad I did.

Warning: Picture overload below.


I remember playing with this all the time when I was younger.

So many memories of sitting on that porch swing.

This is in the back of their house.

The swing set that's always been there.  Jared hit me really hard in the forehead with the bar in the middle when we were mowing my grandma's lawn.  It was accident, but he nearly knocked me out.  I'll never forget after we mowed, my grandma told my dad we were definitely "city slickers".

Grandpa's Garden

My grandpa's garage


I remember this little turtle sprinkler from when I was a kid.

My grandpa's work apron

Grandpa's tools



Christmas in Grandma and Grandpa's house 2010.


Playing in the bathroom.  My grandpa made the cabinets.


The kitchen table we always sat around.

Dad, Uncle Kent, Uncle Gregg & Aunt Sheryl in the house.

Most of my cousins at Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's.

Grandma's flowers

Sitting on Grandpa's lap.  I miss him.

Our family at Grandma and Grandpa's in 1980.

Grandpa in his garden.
In Grandma's kitchen trying to teach Jared to knit.

I can't tell you how many Nugen kids have bathed in this tub.  I'm glad Kathryn got to.

Kathryn playing in Grandma's living room.

Grandma's kitchen


So many babies have played on that same floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment