Sunday, June 23, 2013

Buster

I've been a terrible blogger and I will spend the next few days trying to catch up.  I have so much to tell about.

Let me begin with Buster.  He's not been himself for the last month or so.  He had a UTI about a month and a half ago and then he was breathing heavy.  He went to the vet for both afflictions and the breathing was diagnosed as being squeezed to hard by Kathryn.  He was given a steroid shot and we were sent on his way.  He still wasn't himself though. I was afraid he'd eaten something I wasn't aware of, but tried to put it out of my mind because he was eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. 

Last Tuesday, we got home from work and as I was letting Wickett out, I heard Buster yell out from the entryway.  Jared checked to see if Kathryn had hurt him.  She hadn't, because she just touched him again and he yelled out again.  He couldn't walk well.  He was all arched and walking sideways.  I called the vet right away and they got him right in.  Luckily, we saw Dr. Lambert this time.  He did a full body x-ray, suspecting bladder stones, however, when the x-ray was developed, Dr. Lambert saw a lot of fluid in Buster's right lung.  He suggested an ultrasound on Thursday, which he got.  Unfortunately, it's not good news.  After some pathology work, they can't determine exactly what it is. In order to do that, they'd have to biopsy the two growths they found (one attached to his heart and the other in the media stinem) and that would kill him.  Bottom line is though, Buster has cancer.  We are devastated.  We don't know how long he has.  We're hoping to keep him as happy and comfortable for as long as possible, but we won't let him suffer.  Since he's been on his meds and herbal supplements for the last couple of days, he's been his usual chipper self.  He's got that Buster smile and twinkle in his eyes again. His tails been wagging again and I'm so happy that he's feeling better.  During the ultrasound, they had to remove 100 mL of fluid, so I'm sure that's making him feel better too.  I'm just glad to see the old Buster back. I hope he's around for a long time to come, but I won't be naive.  We've cried...hard, since finding out about this, but with a few days to process it, we're going to treasure our time with him and enjoy him while we can.  I won't lament too long on this post because he's still here, sitting on my lap while I type this and I want to focus on the positive.  I will miss him so much when hes gone, but for now, we'll just love and enjoy our Busta Bluth. 

When we first got Buster. He was sooooo cute!



He started terrorizing Sophie from the start!


He loved playing outside today.  I love this picture.  He was running so hard and loving it.

Buster loves the sun.

A girl and her dog.

This was when Buster wasn't feeling very good. His meds were making him tired.

I just love this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment