Friday, April 5, 2013

Treasures

Some people may not understand my excitement about family history.  Some people do get it (Colleen!).  I was beyond excited when my dad asked if I wanted the journals that belonged to my Great Grandma Zella Swonger-Williams.  I couldn't wait to see them and the arrived today!  I was so excited to read them and get to know her.  She died when I was around 10 and she always seemed to serious to me.  I didn't know her that well, but that was my impression.  I haven't had a chance to read a lot, but from what I've read, it's so interesting seeing what her daily life was like.  Two entries stand out so far: Dec. 4, 1941 and Aug. 14, 1945, the day Japan surrendered.  It's fascinating to me!  I don't get how people don't know what a treasure these are.  They span from 1938-1975.  She wrote almost every day. Talk about dedication!  I can't wait to scour through them!



Announcement of Japan's surrender.

Entry from Dec. 7, 1941 (Bombing of Pearl Harbor). 


No comments:

Post a Comment